Icon Icon Icon Icon Icon

Insurance is a complicated business - even more so when you’re juggling all the different options for the trucking business. When you insure your truck or tractor-trailer, you’re not just insuring the vehicle; you’re also protecting your cargo, providing peace of mind to your customer’s, and preparing your future livelihood. That’s why it’s vital that you take the time and consideration necessary to make sure you’re getting exactly the right combination of coverage at the right levels and deductibles.


Below are the most common trucking insurance options, as well as when and why you would need them for your trucking business.


Liability: Unless you live in New Hampshire, liability insurance is the mandatory backbone of your truck’s insurance policy. Liability insurance covers the cost of damage that you cause either by accident or negligence. It’s important to make sure your insurance company offers a variety of deductible options at a variety of coverage levels. Give careful consideration to your cargo and driving conditions before choosing the lowest deductible/coverage combo. Also, be sure to ask about coverage for uninsured drivers, in case you’re in an accident with someone who didn’t pay attention to the “mandatory” part of the law.


Cargo: When you sign a new client, you want to be able to assure them that their cargo is safe with you. Of course, everything from car accidents to bad weather and theft can cause their cargo to be unsafe. The solution is cargo insurance. Cargo insurance will cover the cost (or part of the cost) of your cargo if it is lost, damaged, or stolen under qualifying circumstances. Cargo trucking insurance isn’t always required for long-haul truckers, but the peace of mind it will offer you is worth the extra premium


Workers Comp: If you own and operate your own business, you may not need workers comp insurance. You could choose to opt instead for short-term disability insurance for yourself in the case of an accident. However, if you manage a fleet of drivers, you’ll need to carry workers comp insurance to protect your employees against a loss of income from job-related injuries. The better your plan, the more qualified drivers you’re likely to attract to your company.


Physical Damage: A small accident may require your truck to get repairs, but what would you do if your truck, your livelihood, were completely destroyed, either by a serious accident, a fire, vandalism, an act of nature, or some other unforeseen circumstance? If you rely on your truck for your long-term income and financial stability, you can’t leave this up to chance. Physical damage trucking insurance will cover the losses and get you back on the road so you can continue providing for yourself and your family as quickly as possible.


Permits: Permits are not forms of insurance, but some trucking insurance companies will still offer their management and filing as part of their service since they are so complex, so it’s important to understand what you need. Depending on what you drive, what you haul, the weight of your load, and other factors, you will likely need a variety of permits to be a legal, safe driver. Ask your trucking insurance company if they will help you identify the permits you need and carry out the process of filing them with your local trucking authority.


No matter what kind of trucking insurance you decide you need, it’s vital that you work with a trusted agency with enough experience to handle the unexpected. Pacific Coast Insurance is a leader in the trucking insurance industry with over 50 years of collective trucking experience. Call us today for a free quote.

Posted 7:00 AM

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2018

View Mobile Version
© Copyright. All rights reserved. Powered by Insurance Website Builder.